I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

2+2=6

Ok we all know 2+2=4
Or do we?

The PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) ranking for U.S. Schools is just about in the middle.

Randi Weingarten from the American Federation of Teachers thinks the U.S. super intense focus on testing is part of the problem. She thinks we could learn something from the higher ranked school systems. 

There has to be a better way to ensure our young people do well in school. I think my daughter's school is onto something. They say that they're teaching kids to make them college ready and if they do a good job than the kids should pass standardized tests without being specifically taught for the them. 

The highest scoring kids are from China, with the most affluent areas of Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau scoring the highest. 

Does more money mean smarter? Maybe. After all, rich districts have more to spend and so can provide more thus giving kids better learning opportunities and so producing smarter kids.  

How are kids supposed to get ahead when just going to school can be dangerous or impossible? There are major school budget shortfalls causing numerous school closings in places like Pennsylvania and Chicago. This leads to less for each kid, over crowding, and not the quality they deserve. 

If there's one area where bipartisanship should be the norm it's education. We owe our kids the best education so they can compete in the global job market.

No comments:

Post a Comment