I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

To Forgive Is Divine

Nelson Mandela died today at the wonderfully old age of 95.

 Mandela spent 27 years in jail for what boiled down to his being black in South Africa.

He became President of the country after his release from prison. Instead of retaliating against the white minority population who had spent so many years brutally oppressing the majority black population he called for peace and forgiveness. Instead of being bitter and hateful over all the years stolen from him his desire was to see his country healed and united.

I'm watching the news coverage and the images out of Johanasberg showing people celebrating the life of a great leader by singing and dancing outside of Mandela's home are quite moving. To live a life that inspires this kind of outpouring can surely be called a life well lived.

My world politics professor shared the link to this video on his blog and I thought I'd share it here.



No comments:

Post a Comment