I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Here's My Number, So Call Me, Maybe?

Today, for the first time since 1979, the leader of the US and the leader of Iran communicated directly with each other.

President Obama dropped this unexpected bit of news today when he spoke from The White House briefing room. He was expected to speak about the looming threat of a government shut down but opened his remarks by saying he'd just spoke on the phone to President Rouhani.


Author and president of  The National Iranian American Council Trita Parsi said on Politics Nation tonight that he thinks it's almost impossible to say how amazing this call really is.

President Obama said "I reiterated to President Rouhani what I said in New York. While there will surely be important obstacles to moving forward and success is by no means guaranteed, I believe we can reach a comprehensive solution" 

While there are no guarantees and skeptics will say President Rouhani is not being honest or sincere, I think that a peaceful relationship with Iran is better than a hostile one for both countries. President Rouhani is more progressive than his predecessor, but are his fellow Iranians following along? It appears some are while others are not quite ready.  The BBC reported that there where protestors against this diplomatic path waiting for their president upon his return to Iran. 

The Middle East is such a volatile area, one more country we're on good terms with would be beneficial. For Iran this step could lead to the easing of sanctions that have been a hardship on the Iranian economy. There's a long road ahead. There will be talks and negotiations on Iran's nuclear program and a host of other issues to be sure. But let's stop for a moment and appreciate this historic first step.


Links related to this post:
Trista Parsi
Politics Nation with Al Sharpton
Official White House tweet with photo taken during the call
Rouhani returns to Iran

No comments:

Post a Comment