I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

We interrupt your regularly scheduled blog reading for this special bulletin



 
For over a month I have been seeing this young man all over downtown Leominster with a campaign sign. I thought he was a really dedicated supporter and the candidate was lucky to have such a hard working volunteer. Then a few days ago I found out that the young man was the candidate. I love politics. I thrive on a good debate. But I am in my 40's. So I was impressed when I found out he was still in high school and was politically aware and civically minded enough to run for office. I had to meet him, and now I'd like to introduce him to you. 

This is Steve Cote. He is an 18 year old senior at Leominster High School. Since he was 9 years old he has been interested in politics, an interest he developed by watching the news. And Steve is running for a seat on the Leominster City Council.

When asked why he is running he said that he feels the city council has been making many mistakes, that they are not treating the tax money collected from the citizens of Leominster with enough care, "Tax payers don't want their money wasted." Steve told me. While he isn't yet working so isn't himself a tax payer he says that some people he aren't taking him seriously there are many who are and that if elected he wants to serve all of the citizens of the city.  

I asked Steve what his pet project would be if he does get a seat and he said he would like to work to get more programs made available for low income families. One example he gave was his desire to see the recreation department offer tuition free summer camp available for the kids from the poorest families.

He feels like there are too many rich members on the council and that there needs to be more average citizens getting elected, citizens like him. He hopes that voters will listen to what he has to say and not use his age as a factor when deciding to vote for him. 

Steve sees a career in politics in his future and considers himself neither liberal of conservative but rather somewhere in the middle. He has a desire to serve his community and I'd say that is a great quality someone with his aspirations.



No comments:

Post a Comment