I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Friday, December 20, 2013

This is just quackers

If you had asked me about free speech and what Phil Robertson said before I took my political theory class this past semester I would have said, no of course he can't say that kind of disgusting and hateful stuff.

But now I have to say that while his view and words are vile and inappropriate his right to say them is as protected as my right to say he's a small minded bigot. Free speech is NOT just for speech we like. It's easy to protect that kind of speech. The point is that freedom of speech applies just as equally to speech people might find repulsive. Now of course there are some limits and certain things that aren't protected. Duck Dude, while his words are at best ignorant and at worst painful and bigoted, are not outside of the protected area.

And here's the thing, no one has violated his right of free speech. GQ printed his disgusting thoughts. His words have been printed and reprinted as well as read on the news on more than one channel. A&E is a business and as a business has a right to say what they will and won't air in their lineup. If someone presents an image not compatible with the vision the corporate bigwigs have for their network they are as within their rights to stop airing Phil Robertson as he was within his rights to say what he said.

But really, there are other, more important things going on in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment