I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tears of a Clown

One of the first things every student learns as they learn to write papers is that you just can't copy someone's work without giving them credit. In many schools it's an expellable offense.

 Rachel Maddow did a segment on her show about Kentucky junior Senator Rand Paul lifting part of a Wikipedia article about the movie Gattica just about word for word in a speech he gave. This seemed to open a can of worms and since her initial report more and more reports have come out showing many instances of using the work of others without crediting them. In Paul's speeches, articles and in his book reports have pointed out acts of plagarism.

Paul's reaction has been a temper tantrum that built so magnificently he's giving two year olds a run for their money.

His reaction has been fluid. He started out denying the charge, saying it was a mistake, making snarky comments about footnotes in his speeches and has progressed to what is looking like a full blown tantrum. He's crying out for people to "leave me the hell alone" and threatening to quit the senate. He has even said if it were legal he'd challenge Maddow to a duel.


The point had been raised that if he can't take the heat in the senate and how will he handle the pressures of his dream job, President of the United States. I find this to be a very good question.






No comments:

Post a Comment