I started this blog as my semester long project for my Fall 2013 World Politics class but since I'm not sure why I didn't do this sooner I plan to continue it even after the class ends. I'll be blogging about politics and current events. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll come back often.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Money, Money, Money....Monney

Friday I heard a report on NPR about the BP court case re the Deep Sea Horizon oil spill. It sounded very complicated to me because of the difference in fines depending on how much oil actually spilled and how they go about figuring out that amount. The report also said there are different parts of this case and none of the findings would be released until all the parts were decided. But the part of the report that stuck with me the most was that there was a chance that since BP has so much money the fines they do pay probably won't be enough to make them or other big oil companies change business as usual.



Today I read reports that yesterday JPMorganChase and the US Government reached a tentative $13billion settlement deal in the civil case related to the bad mortgage loans it sold. There is still a chance there will be criminal charges related to this case.




Also in Friday, Google stock crossed a huge price per share mark when it topped $1,000. It seems people really are clicking on those pesky ads. Google is only the fourth stock to cross this threshold, before them Priceline did it. And the top of the heap? Warren Buffet's company is worth over $175,000 a share.






No comments:

Post a Comment